I hope that if someone I love dies, I’m not a total prat about it

If someone I loved were killed by a drink-driver, I’d be justifiably pissed off. And if that drink driver were to be let off with no or very trivial punishment, then I might even be justified in using my spurious victim-fame to try and address whatever went wrong.

However, if the system were to work, and said drink-driver were to have their life utterly ruined by being sent to jail for six years, I hope that I’d have the basic fucking decency to keep quiet or to feel some pity for the poor stupid bastard – rather than going on the record to say that he should go down for even longer.

In short, I hope I’m less of a dickhead than Alyn Hopkins:

“Six years is what I expected because they are too lenient. This is not real justice – he took my son’s life and there is no way of bringing him back. The punishment does not fit the crime – let’s hope we can change some of the laws.”

Ten to one on that even if the poor sod had been hanged, Mr Hopkyns would be pointing out that in a fair world he would have also been drawn and quartered…

8 thoughts on “I hope that if someone I love dies, I’m not a total prat about it

Yeah, but people say all sorts of stuff in the acute stages of grief. It’s best not to hold it against them. I lost someone to a drink-driver. In the following months I probably hissed something about wanting to kill the guy a fair few times. If a journo had been listening…?

On the other hand, there’s a weird tendency for politicians to start proposing new legslation based on the demands of the grief-stricken. Which is obviously bonkers and should be resisted at all costs.

2. Dies or is killed?

I have a sneaking suspicion that if someone you loved died through having been shot in Iraq or something, you’d be all “send Tony Blair to prison for a million years”. I suspect you’d like to send him down for more than six right now just on general principles.

Whilst I realise that a lot of people have died in the Iraq war, I will at least admit that the decision to go to war or not is a trickier one than “shall i drive home after two (or more) pints”.

Agree on the knee-jerk legislation, although am strangely conflicted by wanting to know what’s going on but realising that by finding out it incentivises politicians to make decisions that are short-term popular but not necessarily common sense nor long-term beneficial.

3. tim says:

Punishment to fit the crime depends on ones point of view. Some people who have suffered
    loss through the act of a murderer have still felt agrieved after watching the
    electrocution of the criminal, saying it was too easy for them. (after conveniently
    forgetting the 10 years on death row). Obviously the victims are not in the best place to judge what is a suitable punishment; they are unblikely to have a neutral and balanced view , naturally
    enough. The media loves these stories. Dont let Myra out. They line up to remind victims
    of their loss and goad them into repeating their hurt. It certainly has not helped them
    come to terms with loss, which can happen to any one at any time for no good reason.
    In the end we have to decide if prison should be used as an icon of a vengeful society or
    as a means to remove risk, punish and also reform.

4. Bob says:

Yet again here is Mr Alyn Hopkins on his soap box,he seems to be launching his road safety project aimed at all young driver’s,(he has only choosen a selective road safety project), may be he should start looking a bit closer to home when it comes to road safety, and what he terms “going out and having a bit of fun every night” in relation to his son’s driving, will mean “joy riding” to the general public, here we have a classic scenario when the parents just don’t know what there kids are doing in the middle of the night,no wonder Mr Alyn Hopkins is in a vengfull state, he is suffering from a state of compleat denial of his son’s driving capability.
    The driver that hit his son obviously shouldn’t have driven his car that night, but his son shouldn’t have been driving around in the middle of the night in a defective ill maintained car, but, justice must be seen to be done, and as a newspaper reporter once told me, no propotion of blame can be place’d upon the victim!!, so that puts Alyn Hopkins in the clear, but guilt is a difficult thing to come to terms with, nowing that if you had taken action earlier,this could have been prevented,but, we all can not follow our kids around 24 hours a day ,but Alyn Hopkins constantly plays to the media to try and come to terms with his self denial, and gloat on his “victim Fame”, i honestly believe that this isn’t the way forward, to help himself or his family come to terms with ther loss.

5. van housten says:

Mr Hopkins is nothing but a freuad ,he knows that his son was in the wrong that night but just can not come to terms with it, well tuff luck, srsehole.
    e

6. Vander bookm valk (holland) says:

Once again here is Alyn Hopkins preaching to the congregation of the general public,( the annual AGM,) the general public are useless at making a judgement on facts, and tend to go along with there own moral guidelines some of which, are as of spurious as Alyn Hopkins, this is going to be hard for the Hopkins family to come to terms with the guilt they have to endure,, But Alyn hopkins feels he can over come this to take the guilt of himself, and off load it onto someone else, well Hopkins, you know the sittuation, ill fitting wheels , wheel spacers missing, near side wheel bearing on the verge of failing, a clssic senario of handbrake turns etc, i dont have to to remind you about boy racers and the implicatiuons of this, Mr Hopkins be carefull that you are fully aware of all the facts before you make statements on the lcal rag

7. vander bookm valk says:

Well , well , well, mr Alyn Hopkins is nothing but a arsehole, same old story ” i am nothing but a self righteous bastard.

8. Grahame says:

There is one topic that comes up in conversation in the news etc time & time again, driving, and the ability for us all to drive in a safe manner, and with the laws becoming more stringent on drink driving, mobile phone usage, and only today the latest proposals being made on new young drivers, i have been of the opinion for years that the standard of driving is totally poor, this is a reflection on which the way driver teaching is undertaken, and more to the point the actual driving test, half an hour around the block isn’t testing ones driving capability. Driving teaching / testing, should be undertaken on a variety of roads, as a keen motorcyclist, (although getting a bit old for it), i decided to undertake the police Bike safe Course, after 30 years on a bike i probably learned more in one week end, than the 30 years prior, speed, roadconditions, visability etc all come in to play, and more important anticipation of what can go wrong. This is a major factor in a lot of accidents, no one anticipated what could go wrong until its to late, and then very often it is. It would be beneficial for a learner driver to sit with a police instructor,( the problem being there isn’t enough of them), and he could point out the hazards that are very often ignored by young drivers, (and old very often).Driving can be a pleasure pastime but safety must be of paramount importance. I find that there are a lot more migrants on our roads, and i often wonder what there understanding of the highway code is!! ANTICIPATION is the key to avoid tragedy such as this.